A Single Autumn - W.S. Merwin

Lawrence Robinson lrobpoet at sonic.net
Fri Oct 2 23:14:03 PDT 2026


A Single Autumn

The year my parents died
one that summer one that fall
I moved into the house
where they had lived their last years
it had never been theirs
and was still theirs in that way
for a while
echoes in every room
without a sound
all the things that we
had never been able to say
I could not remember
doll collection
in a china cabinet
plates stacked on shelves
lace on drop-leaf tables
a dried branch of bittersweet
before a hall mirror
were all planning to wait
the glass doors of the house
remained closed
the days had turned cold
and out in the tall hickories
the blaze of autumn had begun
on its own
I could do anything

	- W.S. Merwin
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.sonic.net/pipermail/poetrylovers/attachments/20261003/ad956d8e/attachment.htm>


More information about the PoetryLovers mailing list