[atariparty] Venue search: story so far

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Thu Jan 28 13:13:12 PST 2010

City of Davis has different rental rates for facilities, depending on the
day of the week (Fri/Sat are most expensive; Mon-Thur are cheapest),
and who you are (resident, non-resident, community group, or commercial).

On Fri/Sat/Sun, they have "Daily" rental rates, which just comes out to be
that day's hourly rate times six.

There are two staffed facilities with multiple rooms (I'd like to have
two rooms; a smaller one would be used part of the time for the movie(s)
we'll be screening): the Senior Center (on A Street) and the
Veterans' Memorial Center (on East 14th Street).

I've picked the rooms that make the most sense, and listed the
Sunday, Resident price for each room.  I broken them down into price-per-person
and price-per-sqft, as well.

Tables, chairs and projector screens come as part of the price.
(PA systems, etc., cost extra.)

Senior Center:
--------------
* Multipurpose room
  Capacity: 350 people
  Sqft: 4734
  Price: $678
  (Price/person: $1.94)
  (Price/sqft: $0.14)

* Valente room
  Capacity: 125 people
  Sqft: 1510
  Price: $516
  (Price/person: $4.13)
  (Price/sqft: $0.34)

* Activity room
  Capacity: 100 people
  Sqft: 1152
  Price: $462
  (Price/person: $4.62)
  (Price/sqft: $0.40)

Veterans' Memorial Center:
--------------------------
* Multipurpose room
  Capacity: 400 people
  Sqft: 4800
  Price: $684
  (Price/person: $1.71)
  (Price/sqft: $0.14)

* Club room
  Capacity: 120 people
  Sqft: 1600
  Price: $474
  (Price/person: $3.95)
  (Price/sqft: $0.30)

* Game room
  Capacity: 65 people
  Sqft: 896
  Price: $456
  (Price/person: $7.02)
  (Price/sqft: $0.51)

So in both cases, the facility's "Multipurpose room" makes the most
sense for the main room of the event.  (Largest, and cheapest per sqft.)

Ironically, the VMC's "Game room" is way more expensive than the others,
so I'm avoiding that one.  (There is also a "rent the entire VMC" option -- it
includes all rooms, plus kitchen and courtyard -- but I think that's
unnecessary.)

There's also the International Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) lodge
(on 2nd Street), which can be rented. They require a $75 booking fee.
It looks like Sunday hourly rental rates are $70/hr.  They seem to have
both an upper hall and a lower hall, but I'm utterly confused as to
what their specs are.  I THINK the Lower hall is: 2250 sqft,
288 person capacity (standing).  My biggest concern with IOOF is its
location -- right downtown, with not much in the way of parking.
(VMC and Senior Center both have large parking lots.)

So that brings leaves me with these three choices, so far:

* VMC:    MPR + Club     (6400sqft / 520ppl) = $1158
* Senior: MRP + Valente  (6244sqft / 475ppl) = $1194
* Senior: MRP + Activity (5886sqft / 450ppl) = $1140

Each option costs around 19c/sqft.  VMC is cheaper for the capacity
($2.22/person, compared to $2.52/person at the Senior Center).

This is looking quite pricey, compared to the Library last year
($10/hr for after-hour use). :)

--
-bill!
Sent from my computer