[atariparty] 2013 Atari Party in Davis -- and/or West Sac?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Jan 21 01:30:34 PST 2013

Happy New Year every one!

Our friends at SacGeeks.com -- specifcally, Stephanie (whom I first met when
she came to the 2nd(?) Atari Party here in Davis) -- have mentioned an
opportunity for geeky events in West Sacramento:

   I was recently contacted by the Recreation Superintendent of the City of
   West Sacramento Parks & Rec Dept. with some great news!

   The West Sacramento Community Center wants to partner up with sacgeeks.com
   to host some events, and are offering their space for FREE!

   They offer:

     * a black box theater that seats 90 and can handle movie screenings,
     * a large community room that seats up to 120, also with projection
       screens, A/V system, catering kitchen, tables and chairs,
     * and two classrooms, approx. 800 sq. ft. each, also with a projection
       system, full A/V inputs, tables, chairs, whiteboard and kitchenette!

   The only "catch" is that the events would have to be in partnership with
   the recs department and sacgeeks.com.A  So it can't be private or
   members-only events.A  They would have to be open to the public and would
   have to be approved by the recs dept.A  But they are looking to do some
   fun geeky events!

I immediately contacted her to find out if SacGeeks would be willing to
help Atari Party utilize that location, if we decided to do so, and if she
thought West Sac would be interested.  Sounds like 'yes' on both parts.

Now, holding an Atari Party outside of Davis increases logistical problems
for _me_ (and in the past, I've brought at least 50%, if not the bulk, of
the equipment coming to the event -- and usually had to get help from
someone with a truck or station wagon :) )

However, it sounds like it could be a great opportunity, since the
facility sounds way more impressive than the single room, small
building, or room-and-some that I've had at the past here in Davis
(library before renovation, building at a city park, and library after
renovation, respectively).

So... thoughts?

--
-bill!