[atariparty] Folks near Davis: hardware clean-n-fix party?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Thu Jul 14 21:54:02 PDT 2016

On Tue, Jul 05, 2016 at 12:21:00PM -0700, Dr. Marlin Bates, IV wrote:
> Well, I suppose there is room for 5-10.
<snip>

Marlin's not going to be available for a few weeks, so in the meantime,
I wonder if anyone else around would be willing to help out?
(I'm also thinking of maybe hitting up someone at the Davis Makerspace,
in downtown Davis...?)

I finally went through almost all of my systems & controllers the
other day, and most of it seems to be in working order.  Here's what
has problems (in order of badness):

 * 2600 (4-switch woodgrain)
   (Didn't explicitly test, but remember problems from last Atari Party)
   Controller ports seem unreliable, and power switch flakey, IIRC

 * CX-40 joystick (x2)
   1. Can't move right, almost ever
   2. Can't move right, sometimes

 * One paddle
   Pretty dirty (I at least know how to clean them ;) )

 * Genesis gamepad
   d-pad is loose (works, but doesn't 'feel' right when I use it

 * Wico Command/Control joystick
   Wobbly (doesn't stay centered); hard to use

 * Flashback 2 joystick
   rattles (a piece broke inside); actually seems to work alright, despite

 * Slikstik joystick
   Seems a little jerky; also very loud/clicky

 * Spectravideo joystick
   works great, but missing a suction cup ;)

I have 7 other joystick-style controllers (between Genesis, FB2, and
7800 ProControllers), plus EdLaddin super-twin.  Also, 2 other pairs of
paddles.  And we're not wanting for 2600s.

So, if none of this gets fixed up between now & the 30th, the show will
still go on. :)

-bill!