[HECnet] Re: Hecnet addition

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Aug 22 07:11:37 PDT 2008

gerry77 at mail.com skrev:
On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 11:58:01 +0200, you wrote:
What about http://decnet.ipv7.net/files/decnet-bridge_0.7-4.tar.gz ? :-P
A few things should perhaps be pointed out. The config file is not compatible with my bridge program, so people who change need to be aware that they have to modify that.
... Or you (or someone else) could integrate into your original bridge some of
our changes when- where- and however you like. You granted us permission to
use your code as a starting point for our modifications, now you are obviously
entitled to do whatever you want with our code. Don't even think to ask. :-)

Well, I would keep LAT and Infoserver traffic separate. :-)

Also, name lookups can take time, and meanwhile the bridge is stopped. If someone have a seriously bad setup dns, this could means hanging the bridge for half a minute per such host (or more). It also increases the
Honestly I think we have overlooked that issue and never really considered it,
maybe because we never stumbled upon it. I wonder if it would be possible to
specify a very short timeout for DNS lookups while performed by the bridge...

Unfortunately you can't specify the timeouts that the DNS lookups should use. :-(
This the main reason why I choose not to have that functionality in my code.