[HECnet] Adding my node

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Mon Mar 31 08:45:17 PDT 2008

Bob Armstrong skrev:
Wouldn't it be best to have someone geographically closer for reasons of latency?
  I don't think it really matters much anymore and besides, it's not as if HECnet is a high bandwidth application :-)

It matters a little, but it's not critical.

I'll be using Johnny's tunnel program.
  Then I think you're going to have to connect to his server, regardless of geography.

No, it works fine with any number of "chained" bridges. But I haven't implemented STP, so no loops, please. :-)

open ports on the LAN, something I can't easily do.
  AFAIK, you'll have to open ports in either case.   Multinet uses UDP port 700; I don't know about Johnny's program.

You'll have to open a port, yes. For the bridge program, it's selectable which port.

email: bqt at update.uu.se                     ||   Reading murder books