[HECnet] Adding my node

John Floren slawmaster at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 02:38:17 PDT 2008

On 3/30/08, Bob Armstrong <bob at jfcl.com> wrote:
Wouldn't it be best to have someone geographically closer for reasons of latency?

  I don't think it really matters much anymore and besides, it's not as if HECnet is a high bandwidth application :-)

I'll be using Johnny's tunnel program.

  Then I think you're going to have to connect to his server, regardless of geography.

Ok, then I guess I may end up using one of Johnny's machines after all.

open ports on the LAN, something I can't easily do.

  AFAIK, you'll have to open ports in either case.   Multinet uses UDP port 700; I don't know about Johnny's program.

If it's an outbound port, there's no problem; we're talking about your
typical Linksys wireless router sitting on a cable modem. If I need to
open an inbound port, which wouldn't surprise me, I'll talk to the
landlady... she'll probably approve, she knows I work in computing and
for some reason that makes people assume I know what I'm doing ;)

LOKI:: Alphastation 250 4/266 running OpenVMS 8.3
FAFNIR:: VAXstation 4000-60 running OpenVMS 7.3

  Do you already have TCP/IP on either of these machines?   What/which one are you using?

I have UCX on both of them; I use LOKI by far the most.

Quick question--LOKI already has DECnet-Plus installed, that will work
for HECnet, right? As I understand it, DECnet-Plus is backwards
compatible with Phase IV?

John
--
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn