[HECnet] What use are *you* making of HECnet?

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue Feb 24 14:59:37 PST 2009

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, Fred wrote:

I enjoyed the HECNet Notes conference on MONK:: while it was up (I'd love to host that myself, or see if someone else could pick that up - I'm *this* close to hooking up my Alpha, MISER to a battery).

You can thank the American Banking system for MONK:: being down.   We're
waiting on an answer about the house we have an offer in on (basically every
house for sale around here requires bank approval since they can't sell the
houses for what is owed on them).   In the mean time MONK and PDXVAX are down
since we're still "homeless" (staying with relatives).   Once we have a place
of our own again getting MONK and PDXVAX up again will be one of my top
priorities.   When we decided to buy a house after being made homeless by the
apartment complex where we'd been living (they tried to move us into an
ex-Meth lab and rented our existing apartment out from under us), we never
expected it to take over six months.   We actually had one offer on a house
approved after waiting nearly two months, only to have the house horribly
fail the inspection (it turned out it was quite literally ready to fall
down).   On another one, the bank sold the house to another bank for $60,000
more than the asking price (WTF!).   Needless to say, the last six months
have been trying, and realizing we're coming up on the six month mark is a
rather depressing thought. :-(

I also know some other folks have demo/guest accounts set up on their systems, and of course like a bone-head I forgot to save some of them when they came across the list.   I probably should dig in the mailman archives for

Of course if MONK was up, the CGI script that shows the status of HECnet
would have most of this info.

Zane