[HECnet] Zaphod down for a few days

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Thu Jul 2 04:14:53 PDT 2009

Yeah, I realise I need to get mail in to the system as well, but this seems fairly trivial using those routines in the HELP section or even (god forbid) some kind of SSH / SFTP / DCL script monstrosity. What I was worried about was getting the FIDO% addressing working and it does, like a dream actually.

Basically, I'll have a UNIX box doing the heavy lifting (i.e. mailer, bundling of messages etc) and the VMS box gets fed very straight forward messages in, and pumps very straight forward messages out . In fact I have something that works quite well already for the VMS -> Fido bit, now reading up on how to get the mail the other way.

As for why? Pure amusement value, getting one fairly obscure network (HECnet) connected to another (Fidonet) will be a nice little challenge and great fun if we get it to work.

Sampsa