[HECnet] CODA replaced by CHARON

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Tue Nov 3 16:48:03 PST 2009

On 4 Nov 2009, at 00:43, Gregg Levine wrote:
My problem is that my apartment (flat to you) is as old as the
hardware we sometimes discuss, call it tail end of the Sixties. So
even though they recently updated the copper, I do not believe it is
capable of supporting FIOS, but it may be available else where in
Queens.

Well you should do what we do in my building (built during the latter end of the glorious reign of Queen Victoria, 1890s or thereabouts) - just drill a hole in the wall, Conservation Orders be damned :)

That's how I managed to get at least dual LNB satellite ports in every room - the sat guy dropped a single coax and one optical cable from the roof along the outer wall, the coax powers some crazy muxer on the roof that sends 16 LNB feeds over the optical cable into a demux in my machine room with 16 LNB coax outputs. Result: Sky HD everywhere. Woo hoo. Best GBP 2500 ever spent :)

Sampsa