[HECnet] CODA replaced by CHARON

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 16:43:23 PST 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 7:34 PM, Sampsa Laine <sampsa at mac.com> wrote:

On 4 Nov 2009, at 00:24, Gregg Levine wrote:

Hello!
Typically 1.5M one way and 768K the other. AT&T keeps mucking up the
figures so I can't get a straight answer out of them.

I ended up sticking with AT&T (Who was my dialup service provider)
when those clowns at Verizon couldn't give me a straight answer at
all. This is before FIOS of course......

That's what I'd heard, that's not great. Any idea when FiOS will be
available? I suppose this gives me some time to line up visas and sell my
flat, always did want to live in NYC...

I have a reasonably ropey DSL here (wires provided by BT, IP service by Be
Unlimited, which is really O2, which is really Telefonica) and I get 14-16
down, 2-2.5 up / line - got so fed up with the "low" speeds I got two lines
and a load balancing router.

Sampsa

Hello!
Well it is available on new construction everywhere in Staten Island,
and everywhere in general on Long Island.

I believe if people want it, then it is available the same way in
Westchester CO.

As for NYC? (Manhattan and the Bronx, also Queens and Brooklyn), well
they got permission to offer the TV service for people who want it,
the data delivery end may also be included.

My problem is that my apartment (flat to you) is as old as the
hardware we sometimes discuss, call it tail end of the Sixties. So
even though they recently updated the copper, I do not believe it is
capable of supporting FIOS, but it may be available else where in
Queens.

In fact regarding the Dalek, Forbidden Planet (The bookstore) is
selling a reasonable range of Doctor Who items, so I've got the Third
Doctor watching me type, and a Dalek trying to get its grubby
protuberances over everything I do.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
"This signature was once found posting rude
messages in English in the Moscow subway."