[HECnet] House heater anyone?

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 23:25:42 PDT 2011

On 8 Jul 2011, at 22:44, Sampsa Laine wrote:

Realistically what would it draw, compared to say an Alphaserver 4100 with two BA365s, fully populated?

I've got some space in a rack in my machine room, with air conditioning :)

I'm not sure about the AlphaServer, but A rx6000 with 2 Itanium 2 single core units draws 340-370 Watts and kicks out monster amounts of heat for a 2U.

If you want to effectively virtualise OpenVMS you'd be way better off running small x86_64 VMs with an Alpha or VAX emulator on a multi-core x86_64 server. Cost weighting of purchase vs. running costs makes way more sense.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>