[HECnet] SCA disks...

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Wed Jul 6 01:24:30 PDT 2011

On 06/07/11 00:54, MG wrote:
On 6-7-2011 1:27, Mark Benson wrote:
Anyone any idea how loud these might be - bit worried 15k drives will be a bit whiny:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260808957717

Can't really tell but from the lids they look like Seagates.

It depends how new, or modern, the disk is and what quantity.   All of my modern 15K (but
also 10K) disks, i.e. all of 73 GB and above, are almost silent compared to older disks.
Maybe I've been lucky, but this has been my experience so far.

These HP original disks in 'ring' sleds (like in the eBay auction) would typically belong
to the above category and are usually of great quality and not high-pitched.   Surely not
louder than an rx2600/rx2620, zx6000 even, or let alone rx1600/rx1620 (needless to say,
of course).

- MG

Oh yes, and well spotted finding drives in the right sledges! This is no mean trick!

Bear in mind as always that guaranteed new drives are almost always quieter, but that 15k drives are going to be noisy compared with 10k/7.2k/5.4k rpm drives.

Even my laptop drive gets annoying sometimes.

(he says having spent the last 4 hours attempting to get a BA356 loaded with 5 36GB SBBs to talk succesfully to the 1000A also containing 6 drives. In the end the disk in slot 1 of the external enclosure was causing all sorts of horrible problems. Took much swapping of personality modules, cables, host adaptor cards, reflowing solder joints, pulling hair to determine the problem.)

Oh, and time.

Mark.