[HECnet] Mac terminal issues...

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Jul 3 21:33:19 PDT 2011

On 2011-07-03 19.55, Zane H. Healy wrote:
At 12:51 PM +0100 7/3/11, Mark Benson wrote:
I use a Mac OS X machine and the native Terminal.app with telnet or
SSH to access my OpenVMS boxen. Fior the most par tit works fine with
a VT100 terminal emulation to the VMS terminal. I have a problem with
EVE however. Mac's do something silly with the numeric keypad, it's
locked to numbers (rather than scroll) and the Numlock key doesn't do
anything sensible. As a result using the 'GOLD' key and pretty much
all the action keys in EVE becomes impossible. Anyone got any
suggestions, or am I just going to have to wing it or use my Linux box?

Use X-Windows and modify your keybindings so that they match what VMS
expects. It's a lot harder to do on the Mac, but it is possible.

No need. As soon as you switch to X-windows, you also need to switch to some X-based application. As xterm exists, it should be the obvious choice, and it works correct straight out of the box, even on a Mac.