[HECnet] Potentially stupid printer question...

Steve Davidson jeep at scshome.net
Tue Oct 11 16:29:01 PDT 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE
[mailto:owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE] On Behalf Of Mark Wickens
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 11:17
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Subject: [HECnet] Potentially stupid printer question...

I've been offered a very nice printer for the price of
shipping. It's a centronics based printer. I currently have
an LA75 hooked up to a DECserver 90M. Obviously MMJ/serial connection.

My question is - does OpenVMS support parallel printers?
Would it be a lot of work getting it to work natively without
having to include another box in the mix (ie, a linux box).

My brain has been trampled on with work today, something may
come to me yet...

Actually having said that, I guess a Centronics/Network
interface would do the trick at the very least.

Regards, Mark.

Mark,

I would pass on that one.   While VAX platforms supported parallel
printers they were either DEC specific LP11-type (only BIG VAXen had
these interfaces) or they used something like a DECserver-250 over LAT.
Both worked well but what you have isn't that bad either and I would
stick with that.

I use one (1) LA75 and one (1) LA120 (DECwrite-III) via LAT and that
works just fine.   The LA120 is 132 columns so printouts work great.   The
laser printers can go over LAT if they have serial ports (one (1)
actually does), but mostly they run with HP JetDirect modules either
directly or via a UNIX box running CUPS.

-Steve