Fwd: Re: [HECnet] More clustering fun

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Mon Sep 19 21:53:56 PDT 2011

On 19/09/11 11:40, Peter Coghlan wrote:
Peter, I should be able to get round to testing this today.

Great stuff. Let me know how you get on and I will try to help if
necessary / possible.

Just currently moving the system disk on the alpha from ODS-5 to OSD-2 so
that we've got half a chance of clustering the VAX properly...

I don't think the alpha system disk being ODS-5 should cause any problems
clustering with a VAX. However, you would not be able to mount the ODS-5
disk from the VAX side of the cluster and from that point of view, it would
be better if it was ODS-2.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.

Weird, however, that I can mount an ODS-5 drive on the VAX and indeed do directory listings and the like. Wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it. Is it some feature of 7.3.1 that I didn't know about? Or maybe specific to mounting drives in a cluster?

Regarding AUTOGEN - I tried what you suggested and there were no differences between the before and after files. I can post them if you like, but I'm not sure they are going to be much use.

Note that having manually changed the parameters with SYSGEN the system should be in line with the MODPARAMS file which is what I saw.

I'm going to back up the ALPHASYSTEM disk when it's offline and then I'll try an AUTOGEN and see what happens this time. Maybe it was something else which is now working. With a backup it will be trivial to revert.

The system disk move from ODS-5 to OSD-2 was uneventful. I created an extra shadow member $4$DKC500: in shadowset DSA0: which was running on $4$DKB0: and $4$DKB100:, then I dismounted the new member $4$DKC500: and $4$DKB100:. I then followed the instructions here: http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/73final/6536/6536pro_001.html

Which went something like this:

$ INITIALIZE /STRUCTURE_LEVEL=5 $4$DKB100: SLAVESYSTEM
$ MOUNT/FOREIGN $4$DKB100:
$ BACKUP/LOG/CONVERT/IMAGE $4$DKC500: $4$DKB100:/NOINIT

then shutdown the system, swapped $4$DKB0: and $4$DKB100: so the OSD-2 drive was now the single shadow set member, rebooted then issued a

$ MOUNT/SYSTEM DSA0: /SHADOW=($4$DKB0:, $4$DKB100:) SLAVESYSTEM SYSTEM$

to bring $4$DKB100: (the old ODS-5 drive) back into the shadowset via copy.

The ALPHA and VAX are now clustered nicely, including a common SYSAUTH and RIGHTSLIST, so I can now login to my normal account hosted on the ALPHA from the VAX. I've also pulled out common logicals and mounts into a common file.

Good progress today.

Regards, Mark