[HECnet] Sweet, now I can make my Ubuntu boxes look like VMS :)

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 07:45:15 PDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 2:40 AM, Sampsa Laine <sampsa at mac.com> wrote:
The default desktop environment on DECWindows is CDE. At least on my Alphas and Itaniums..

Sampsa

On 14 Aug 2012, at 09:04, Mark Benson wrote:

On 12 Aug 2012, at 15:30, Sampsa Laine wrote:

CDE has been open-sourced: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/09/cde_goes_opensource/

Fi on you, you should be using DECWindows, not CDE...

On the bright side, though, it does at least mean that various people might start rolling out improvements for it on the various platforms it lives on, especially AIX (which is the only current platform it's left on I think??)

--

Mark Benson

http://DECtec.info
Twitter: @DECtecInfo
HECnet: STAR69::MARK

Hello!
Correct. I remember seeing it running that way back when HP had
demonstration space at their offices here, also before when it was
Compaq.

When was VMS ported to Alpha? I recall being at the Alpha launch party
at the (then) DEC offices here in the city, and saw a box running
Windows NT (Alpha) and the man lamented that if too many windows were
open the system would slow down.

I also recall seeing a MIPS based DEC workstation at the UNIX expos
and the DEC chap described the coming NT system for it.

Never did anything with that family, but well I kept up to date.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com