INFO.TXT, was Re: [HECnet] UPDATE: HECNET.HLP file for VMS systems

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Dec 29 13:47:57 PST 2012

On 2012-12-29 21:37, Dave McGuire wrote:
On 12/29/2012 01:59 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
    type nikkel::info.txt
%TYPE-W-SEARCHFAIL, error searching for NIKKEL::INFO.TXT;
-RMS-E-FND, ACP file or directory lookup failed
-SYSTEM-F-INVLOGIN, login information invalid at remote node

Won't work until there's a default FAL user and an INFO.TXT...

      So what's supposed to be in this INFO.TXT file that everyone's been
talking about lately?   I think I may be too much of a newcomer here to
know about it.   Where should it be, and what should it contain?

Actually, thanks for reminding me. This is something someone should
write up a page about. I'll happily put a link to that on the hecnet
webpage... (Or host it, if needed.)

    That's the sort of thing that should definitely be in the help system.

Nah. We need something that everyone can access. Not something that exists in the HELP system of a specific machine, that you need to know about, and log in to.
(Although, I could make it available both as HELP and a web page from MIM, and you don't even have to log in to access the HELP on an RSX system... :-) )