[HECnet] Raspberry Pi + SIMH VAX?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Jun 7 02:21:57 PDT 2012

On 2012-06-07 03:01, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:

pdp11, that's a different story, though I do try to do some more bits from time to time...

You mean the gcc PDP-11 backend? Are you mad? :-)

	Johnny

Maybe so, but working on its has been a good learning experience.   It actually helped me doing "real work" on gcc.

God. I have never fully understood the internals of gcc. I remember identifying some bugs in it several years ago when it targeted VAX. But I did that by writing code, running it through the compiler and reading the output to identify the problem. Then someone else had to go in there and actually figure out how it managed to get it wrong.

I also helped the guy doing the original PDP-11 backend for gcc, but once more, I understood the PDP-11 side of things, but not much of the gcc internals...

But I have tried. :-)

All respect to you then, Paul.