[HECnet] RSTS/E + DECNET 4.1

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Mon Oct 29 23:33:03 PDT 2012

On 30 Oct 2012, at 02:14, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

On 10/30/2012 02:10 AM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
I want to try out a VAXstation some time, I started on a pentium
running windows 95, so I missed quite a bit of history. ;)

Come bring me some good trading fodder and you can take home a VAXstation.

I have a feeling you'd want something more valuable than an iPad 2 + bluetooth keyboardcase. ;)
Can I pay in floppy disks or a PowerMac 8600? :p

I'm fairly positive you don't want any Pentium 4 systems

How about paying in weird things? West Side Story soundtrack on vinyl? 320G 7200RPM laptop drive?
AMD HomePNA? (I forget which model) Video Professor: Learn Microsoft Works (I only found level 3, so this can go in "especially weird"). 802.11b PCMCIA Card? PCI IDE Controller? 4.1 channel speaker system for a computer? Nvidia FX 5200? PCI sound card with digital output I forget the name of? Windows 98 keys? Nintendo Wii? WordPerfect 7?

16G SCSI drives? SCSI CD-ROM drive? IDE PCI Controller?

Trying to think of other weird stuff I have that might be worth something to someone somewhere somehow

Older modem Android phone? (Motorola Droid 2, verizon, pretty useless as a anything other than a wifi device now).

Anything in particular you or anyone you know is looking for that's PC-related? Need an older MIDI controller? Need some Pentium 3s? Laptop Core2 Duo?

How long did you use the Sun3? And did you run SunOS on it? ;)

Of course.   I ran a Sun3/50 for a few years, then a 4/110, then a
SPARCstation-1+, then a SPARCstation-IPX...then...jeeze, dozens of
machines.   Dozens.   Continuing to this day; the central computer here is
a Sun Fire V480, whose (large) workload is slowly being migrated to a
T1000. (which may get upgraded to a T2000 before the migration is complete)

Suns have done all the heavy lifting for me for nigh on twenty years now.

(I think it might be bad that Suns immediately remind me of
UNIX-HATERS   )

Yeah.   I know a bunch of those guys.   Most of them hate *everything*. ;)

They do seem to hate everything. ;)

As my NAS currently runs in a VM, I'd need to upgrade the host a bit
to give it 8G (the host has 12G, and I get kinda nervous without
insane amounts of RAM free for future expansion) Also, why not use it
for /var?! You NEED that level of redundancy for storing X session
errors ;)

Yeah, that's it! ;)