[HECnet] RSTS/E + DECNET 4.1

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Oct 29 23:11:09 PDT 2012

On 10/30/2012 01:06 AM, John Wilson wrote:
I had a PDT-11/150 many years ago, mid-80s.   It was kinda fun, but
also kinda pointless.   The only thing you can run on it is RT-11.

I had one too back then and had a blast!   RT-11 is terrific (infinitely
better than contemporary microcomputer OSes), and anyway a 150 will run
pretty much anything an 11/03 will run (but with 30 KW of memory instead of
just 28) so it's really pretty flexible.

  JOHN!   You're alive!   How have you been?

  Please don't take my comments the wrong way.   I love ALL things PDP.
I'm just accustomed to RSTS/E and RSX-11M, "big" OSs.   Little ones don't
really do much for me.   That's all.

I wrote a FORTH-79 system on mine
(including a stand-alone 4-user version with a blinky NULJOB display on the
two LEDs), and a PDP-8 cross-assembler, and one side of a two-user "pong"
game that worked over the modem, and ported Small-C to it, and did a zillion
other things I don't even remember.   Something or other with a Microsoft
serial mouse plugged into the modem port?   It was such a great machine!!!

  Neat!!