[HECnet] RSTS/E + DECNET 4.1

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Mon Oct 29 23:10:15 PDT 2012

On 30 Oct 2012, at 02:01, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

On 10/30/2012 01:52 AM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
Boner Hitler??

Asked a friend on IRC for a hostname, and he suggested bonerhitler,
doesn't fit my naming scheme but I haven't felt like changing it.

I like it.   I could drink with this person.

Sorry, never did DECnet under Ultrix.   I can help you with most
anything else Ultrix-related, though...it was my main desktop
platform for many years.

On a VAXstation or a DECstation?

On several machines.   First on a VAXstation-II, then upgraded that to
a four-plane GPX with a grayscale monitor.   I had a VAXstation-2000 on
the network with it, on a desk in another room.

I want to try out a VAXstation some time, I started on a pentium running windows 95, so I missed quite a bit of history. ;)

I moved to Sun3 desktop systems from there, but then ended up using a
gaggle of DECstation-3100s and -5000s for various server roles.

How long did you use the Sun3? And did you run SunOS on it? ;)
(I think it might be bad that Suns immediately remind me of UNIX-HATERS   )

For long-term reliable online (as opposed to tape) data storage,
look into ZFS.

Actually, that's a good idea. How good is linux's support for it
right now?

It's very stable, but not very fast.   Their (the zfsonlinux.org folks)
focus has been on stability first.   They're just now starting to work on
performance.

Makes sense they'd focus on stability first, considering the ideals of ZFS.

I've been running it on my primary desktop machine, for everything
except /, /var, and /usr, across four 1.5TB drives, for about a year.
It's good so far, but, NOTE WELL, it needs GOBS of memory.   Don't even
try it on a system with less than 4GB.   It gives you a lot back, but it
does eat memory.   I'm running 16GB in that system.   I recommend at least
8GB.

As my NAS currently runs in a VM, I'd need to upgrade the host a bit to give it 8G (the host has 12G, and I get kinda nervous without insane amounts of RAM free for future expansion)
Also, why not use it for /var?! You NEED that level of redundancy for storing X session errors ;)

Boner Hitler. *snicker*