[HECnet] TOPS-20 DECnet

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Mon Oct 29 13:16:06 PDT 2012

On 29 Oct 2012, at 16:06, Marc Chametzky <marc at bluevine.net> wrote:

Here's what I did to get DECnet running on my TOPS-20 system (Panda distribution).

1) Preconfigure the Ethernet interface with the right MAC address with ifconfig xxx ether aa:00:04:00:xx:xx

Happen to know what MAC i'd want for 33.254? I'm bad with figuring hexadecimal stuff and i've not quite figured out the order for DECnet mac addresses yet.

2) Set the interface in the klt20.ini file accordingly:

    devdef ni0 564 ni20 dedic=true ifc=e1000g1 enaddr=aa:00:04:00:2e:4d

3) In SYSTEM:7-1-CONFIG.CMD I have these lines:

    NODE CALHAN 19.302
    ETHERNET 0 DECNET
    DECNET ROUTER-ENDNODE
    DECNET MAXIMUM-ADDRESS 1023

4) For the node database, I'm using SYS:SETNOD.EXE. Run that, then use SET NODE commands to populate the database (a "TAKE" script can be quite handy) and then SAVE to a binary database.

    At bootup, run SETNOD and issue the commands GET (to read the binary database) and then INSERT (to load the node database into the monitor).

I believe that's it for getting it to speak DECnet reasonably well.

--Marc