[HECnet] TOPS-20 DECnet

Marc Chametzky marc at bluevine.net
Mon Oct 29 13:06:48 PDT 2012

Here's what I did to get DECnet running on my TOPS-20 system (Panda distribution).

1) Preconfigure the Ethernet interface with the right MAC address with ifconfig xxx ether aa:00:04:00:xx:xx

2) Set the interface in the klt20.ini file accordingly:

      devdef ni0 564 ni20 dedic=true ifc=e1000g1 enaddr=aa:00:04:00:2e:4d

3) In SYSTEM:7-1-CONFIG.CMD I have these lines:

      NODE CALHAN 19.302
      ETHERNET 0 DECNET
      DECNET ROUTER-ENDNODE
      DECNET MAXIMUM-ADDRESS 1023

4) For the node database, I'm using SYS:SETNOD.EXE. Run that, then use SET NODE commands to populate the database (a "TAKE" script can be quite handy) and then SAVE to a binary database.

      At bootup, run SETNOD and issue the commands GET (to read the binary database) and then INSERT (to load the node database into the monitor).

I believe that's it for getting it to speak DECnet reasonably well.

--Marc