rebuild RSTS/E monitor, was Re: [HECnet] RSTS/E 10.1 and OpenVMS via DECnet

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Mon Oct 29 13:04:58 PDT 2012

On 29 Oct 2012, at 15:54, Jordi Guillaumes i Pons <jg at jordi.guillaumes.name> wrote:

El 29/10/2012, a les 17:40, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> va escriure:

29-Oct-2012 09:33:11 ***BUGCHK COMBNN*** Bad local node number   Job: 0, User: OPERATOR
[KNILDR: Loading microcode version 1(172) into Ethernet channel 0]

TYPE SYSTEM:7-1-CONFIG.CMD shows:
NODE MINDY 33.303
DECNET ROUTER-ENDNODE

ETHERNET 0 DECNET

Trying to enter opr so I can enter NCP and see if I can get more information   but nothing happens when I type opr<ret> as operator.

The system is not reachable via decnet.

Did I forget a setting somewhere?

Hmmmm...

@enable
$r opr
OPR>enter ncp
NCP>show executor char

18:30:48               NCP

Request # 324; Show Executor Node Characteristics Completed

Executor Node = 7.78 (BITXT2)

Identification = DECnet-20 Version 4.0
Management Version = 4.0.0
Loop Count = 1
Loop Length = 127
Loop With = Mixed
Incoming Timer = 30
Outgoing Timer = 60
NSP Version = 4.0.0
Maximum Links = 65535
Delay Factor = 48
Delay Weight = 10
Inactivity Timer = 120
Retransmit Factor = 10
Routing Version = 2.0.0
Type = Nonrouting IV
Routing Timer = 600
Broadcast Routing Timer = 40
Maximum Address = 255
Maximum Circuits = 20
Maximum Cost = 100
Maximum Hops = 16
Maximum Visits = 20
Maximum Broadcast Nonrouters = 64
Maximum Broadcast Routers = 32
Maximum Buffers = 80
Buffer Size = 576
Segment Buffer Size = 576

That "Maximum Address" makes me wonder... try to assign to it an address under 255.

If I try to change the characteristic I get an error:

NCP>set executor maximum address 1023

18:31:21               NCP

Request # 325; Set Node Failed, Operation failure

I'll try to locate a DECNET-20 manual to check it all...

I have it attached to a bridge and it is reachable via TCP/IP, so networking works.

TCPIP access does not mean you will have DECNET access. There is that MAC Address change issue. That is what prevented my setup to work in the first place, so I had to go the VM way

Yeah, doesn't give an error now, but it also just doesn't work, so i'm thinking the changing of the MAC is the issue now. Perhaps I could manually specify a DECnet mac address in the klh10 config? Probably just easier to spin up another VM or add another tap interface though.

Jordi Guillaumes i Pons
jg at jordi.guillaumes.name
HECnet: BITXOV::JGUILLAUMES