[HECnet] punched tape

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 02:24:18 PDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 4:21 PM, Lee Gleason <lee.gleason at comcast.net> wrote:
Yah, it was 6 bit tape for text preparation, with 8 bit tape used for
programming & setup of the phototypesetters. Meant a lot of messing around
with the tape readers, since one width of tape expected the feed holes to
align with the center of the data holes, and the other width expected the
feed holes to align with the leading edge of the data holes.

Speaking of Flexowriters, we had one of those for doing commercial mass
mailings that looked typewritten - I still have one of the 576 bit core
memories it used. Each   memory board was about 8X11 inches. The individuals
cores are really big on these boards.

Good times...when you weren't dozens of levels removed from the actual
physic of computation.
--
Lee K. Gleason N5ZMR
Control-G Consultants