[HECnet] Re: VMS sources

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Jan 8 11:50:50 PST 2013

I think I remember that believe Bob got one of the much older (Vax) versions sprung free with a hobbyist license on a CD.    It was not clear how  useful/complete it was, since it lacked the build environment.

Current sources are still protected HP IP

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:
On 01/08/2013 02:38 PM, G. wrote:
> I've always wondered about VMS sources: how they are actually distributed
> today and how much space they take? Is a CD-ROM enough for everything? And in
> which format are they? Just simple text files in a bunch of directories or
> there is something fancier such as some cross references and indexes?

   They used to make source *listings* available on fiche; I have several
sets of those.   It's a stack of fiche maybe 3-4" thick.

> But the main question is: where can they be obtained? Is HP still selling them
> and how much they would cost? A figure with too many zeroes, right? :/

   For a currently-developed high-end OS for high-end hardware in the
application space in which VMS is typically used, yes, lots of zeros.