[HECnet] Re: VMS sources

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Jan 8 11:45:12 PST 2013

On 01/08/2013 02:38 PM, G. wrote:
I've always wondered about VMS sources: how they are actually distributed
today and how much space they take? Is a CD-ROM enough for everything? And in
which format are they? Just simple text files in a bunch of directories or
there is something fancier such as some cross references and indexes?

  They used to make source *listings* available on fiche; I have several
sets of those.   It's a stack of fiche maybe 3-4" thick.

But the main question is: where can they be obtained? Is HP still selling them
and how much they would cost? A figure with too many zeroes, right? :/

  For a currently-developed high-end OS for high-end hardware in the
application space in which VMS is typically used, yes, lots of zeros.