[HECnet] discontinuance of VMS

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jun 6 01:27:41 PDT 2013

  This just came in from a friend of mine:

  "Ric Lewis at HP sent out a letter basically saying VMS is dead.
Support up through 2020, but 2016 is the last sale of VMS-
supported hardware."

  Now, of course, "will only be sold for 2.5 more years and will only be supported for 6.5" doesn't exactly say "dead" to me; it says "WILL EVENTUALLY BE dead", but still, this does kinda suck.   But it's awesome that it lasted this long.   From 1978 until 2020 is a great run in this industry.   And I'll be running it, God willing, well after that. (if I'm still breathing!)

  I do hope those who have sources (or at least, source listings) will be able to preserve them.     (hint hint)