[HECnet] Vt100 tester

John Wilson wilson at dbit.com
Mon Mar 4 11:44:04 PST 2013

From: "Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <system at TMESIS.COM>

Which tests???

The worst one was with the letters going down both margins (part of set #1).

Are Eli Heffron still in biz?

www.eli.com.   I assume it's just "& son" now (Neal Heffron I think?
he was cool).   Their *awesome* dusty old shop is long gone (I was kicked
out of there once in 6th or 7th grade) so I think it's mail-order-only,
but they have plenty of stuff and their prices are reasonable.   VT520s
for less than my VT100 was!!!

I've not tried these test on a plain ol' VT100.   The oldest kit I've used
was a VT220 and it passes all tests as expected.

I'm sure the same is true for the author.   Who'd think DEC would mess up
their own compatibility?   Plus the tests made no allowance for not having
the AVO, which the 101 and plenty of 100s didn't.

Anyway this is going to be OCD heaven -- more pointless details to obsess
over!   And I appreciate the warning to be on the lookout if I ever lose my
mind and want to add VT220 emulation.   I totally would have assumed it was
just a matter of adding new stuff, not changing the old stuff.

John Wilson
D Bit