[HECnet] Apple LK keyboard?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Nov 24 14:58:26 PST 2013

On 2013-11-24 18:24, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
Sampsa Laine <sampsa at mac.com> writes:

So I've had this idea for a while and FINALLY got my hands on a "proper" =
Mac 100+ key keyboard.

iTerm2.app will let me map pretty much any key to any escape sequence, =
what do you guys think of the following layout (had to be a bit =
'creative' and move some keys around):

http://sampsa.com/maclk.jpg

I'd have to ask you why "set C" is not the PF1 through PF4???

FWIW, the iTerm.app and iTerm2.app both have pretty awful VT emulations.   If
you really want/need to use a VT terminal, assuming your target is VMS, then
issue $CREATE/TERMINAL with the VMS display set to your Mac.   If you use ssh,
this is much simpler to establish, simply use the -X switch with ssh command.

You'll find that the Mac keyboard you've shown in your URL maps nicely under
the DECterm which will be launched on your Mac.   A few minor Xmodmap commands
or mods of the Xresource file will make things seem much more like an LK key-
board.

I can only agree. I've checked both iTerm and iTerm2 several times, and the terminal emulation sucks. Not usable, if you ask me.

The only decent VT emulation I know of (apart from DEC stuff) is actually xterm. And xterm is available on a MAC as well.

That, along with a full MAC keyboard (the one with the numeric keypad) will do pretty much all keys you'd normally want straight out of the box.

And xmodmap is your friend, if you want to customize things more, along with the resources for xterm.