[HECnet] VT-62?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Sep 28 10:30:50 PDT 2013

On 2013-09-28 11:26, Sampsa Laine wrote:

On 28 Sep 2013, at 11:23, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:

I've never seen or heard of anyone using it. I think it was available a very short time on the market.
It is mentioned in one of the processor handbooks that covers the 11/70, but basically no other DEC documentation even mentions it.

Shame and a bit weird - why would DEC build a block-mode terminal for an application platform and then not sell / distribute the platform?

Not a successful product maybe? Maybe some shortcoming in the whole design made it not get any acceptance in the market.

Also, does anyone know where we might get specs on the VT62's block-mode data stream? Might be amusing to write a VT62<->IBM 3270 translator :)

Never seen any of that either. There was a block mode version of the VT100 as well, if I remember right. Maybe compatible? Although I have not seen the documentation for that one either.