[HECnet] VT-62?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Sep 28 10:23:55 PDT 2013

On 2013-09-28 05:20, Bob Armstrong wrote:
Johnny Billquist wrote:

Mine worked like any asynchronous serial interface. Plain RS-232.

    Sounds like there's a magic switch somewhere ...   Now to find it.

Either that, or the port is broken. I seem to remember mine breaking a
couple of times, and me repairing it. But any further details have been
forgotten. I only remember that it wasn't hard to figure out or fix.
I assume you have tried shorting pin 2&3 of the serial port, and nothing
happens when you type...?

Open it up. There is a large board at the bottom which if I remember
right, is pretty much all of it.

Oh, I should mention - I don't remember there being more than one rotary switch for speed selection, but check to make sure there isn't a separate for Tx and Rx, and them being set differently for split speed...

Just out of interest, how hard would it be to get hold of this TRAX software platform that uses VT62 in it's block mode (it runs on "high end PDP-11s")?

Anybody ever program anything for it?

I've never seen or heard of anyone using it. I think it was available a very short time on the market.
It is mentioned in one of the processor handbooks that covers the 11/70, but basically no other DEC documentation even mentions it.