[HECnet] SIMH on Raspberry Pi

Tue Jun 3 20:47:56 PDT 2014

On Jun 3, 2014, at 3:38 PM, Fred <fcoffey at misernet.net> wrote:

Hi all,

For those of you who are running SIMH on Raspberry Pi, how are you getting around the fact that lots of writes on your SD card will eventually trash it?   I am considering moving my VAX instance to my Raspi, but didn't want to eat an SD card ... ;)

It   s worth doing the experiment to see whether (and when) this is a problem in practice.   Flash storage devices like SD cards do    wear leveling   , and if that   s implemented reasonably well, you can get a lot of life out of a card.   The other consideration is that they only cost a couple of dollars, so why worry about it (given adequate backup)?

	paul