QBUS sound [Was: Re: [HECnet] Parallel computing using DECnet]

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Fri May 2 09:26:41 PDT 2014

On Fri, 2 May 2014, Dave McGuire wrote:

On 05/02/2014 02:05 AM, Pontus Pihlgren wrote:
  There are very few PDP-11s that won't kick the living snot out of a
Commodore 64, FYI.

I've yet to see a PDP-11 with builtin color graphics
_and_ sound.

Me neither.

The 64 probably outsold all models of 11 taken together.

That's certainly possible, but one cannot argue that their target
markets were even remotely related.   Or even aware of each other's
existence, for tha tmatter.

"Our physics lab was just given a Commodore 64!   We can have one user at a time and we have no computing power."

"The art department has just received a PDP-11/70!"

</badjoke>

so it depends on your application and measurement I
suppose.

We were talking about distributed math apps.

Distributed math apps that should GIVE AUDIBLE OUTPUT.

I'm told there were, probably third party, sound cards
for qbus. Has anyone of you seen one or know more?

I haven't.   I have a really neat Qbus card with a TMS9918 sprite-based
video chip on it, though!

That's interesting!

Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff