[HECnet] RSX-11 setback

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Tue May 20 19:08:49 PDT 2014

Sent from mobile device that advertises itself for no good reason

On 2014-05-20 19:47, Cory Smelosky wrote:
Well, I'm just not having ANY luck with this...

VMR @SYSVMR
VMR -- *DIAG*-Partition reduced to executive common size
INS EXCOM1
VMR -- *DIAG*-Partition reduced to executive common size
INS EXCOM2
VMR -- *DIAG*-Loadable driver larger than 4K
LOA TT:
VMR -- *DIAG*-Installed tasks may no longer fit in partition
SET /TOP=DRVPAR:-*
POOL=1200:9644.:09644.

(That bit is understandable. I must've configured it too big!)

They are diagnostic messages, and many times totally expected and normal.

Ahhh.

The TT: driver is definitely expected. (I would be very worried if you did not get that one.)
Same with the DRVPAR shrinking. It's a warning that is not important here, as you do not use DRVPAR for dynamic tasks anyway.

Ah.

The EXCOMn partitions are an 11M thing, but as far as I can remember they are also totally expected.

boo [1,54]rsx11m

SYSTEM CRASH AT LOCATION 014402

REGISTERS

R0=000002 R1=120550 R2=000000 R3=120546

R4=120744 R5=031610 SP=117772 PS=020010

SYSTEM STACK DUMP

LOCATION CONTENTS

  117772     000004

001344

That is a very weird and unexpected stack pointer. RSX normally have the stack in rather low addresses.

Wonder if it's related to the tape controller that isn't actually technically present.

Not sure exactly what you configured, but maybe something wrong in all your answers... :-)

I'll grab the log when back at my desk.

After reboot:

boo [1.54]rsx11m
MCR -- Task not in system
ins $boo
boo [1,54]rsx11,\,\m
[no output]

I seem to be TERRIBLE and SYSGEN.

Well, since the initial boot failed, any subsequent boots of that image I would expect to fail equally bad.

It could have been unclean memory at some random address. This system also tends to randomly crash on first-time boots, too sometimes. A couple halts and it usually works then.