[HECnet] Announcing TCP/IP for RSX-11M-PLUS

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Jan 17 10:02:59 PST 2016

Well, about a month since my last announcement, and some improvements
have been done, so I figured I should do another one.

I've cut a new release of TCP/IP for RSX, and I encourage everyone to
update to this latest release.

A short list of changes since my last release:

TCP:
. Added functionality for future DECnet tunnels.

UDP:
. Bugfix in write. The second word of the IOSB was always zero, but
should be the number of bytes written. Fixed now.
. Added functionality for DECnet tunnels.
. Improved user AST generation to use less resources.

FTP/FTPD:
. Bugfix in RSX transfer mode, which could become corrupted under some
circumstances.
. Added some more error checking and messages.

TELNET:
. Changed code so that it can properly managed the number of devices to
create. Now controlled by a logical name.

DECnet over IP:
. This is the big change that comes with this release. It is now
possible to have DECnet over IP, in a Multinet-compatible
implementation. Right now, this only works over UDP, but TCP will come
later. There are still probably a couple of rough corners to improve,
but this should be possible to use by anyone, and I have written
documentation for this. I'm very interested to hear someone else try to
install and use it, to find any issues with the installation.

If someone wants to use this, I'm happy to act as a peer for them. Just
let me know.

As usual, the distribution is available from:
ftp://mim.update.uu.se/bqtcp.dsk
ftp://mim.update.uu.se/bqtcp.tap
ftp://ftp.update.uu.se/pub/pdp11/rsx/tcpip/tcpip.dsk

The documentation is also available through ftp on Mim, or also at
http://mim.update.uu.se/tcpipdoc

Note! I've realized that BQTCP/IP do not work right if you have a
PDP-11/74 with multiple processors online. I'll fix that at some point,
as it's probably just a case of affinity not being set on devices, nor
relevant processes. This might only be a problem with telnet in fact. I
know for sure that the IP and TCP drivers works ok in multiprocessor
systems.