[HECnet] 108.31.82.9/QCOCAL

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Jun 20 10:02:58 PDT 2016

Who runs it can always easily be found by http://mim.update.uu.se/nodedb

>  Please have it secured!  It has been used in the past several
> days to try and break into my system(s).  It is highly irresponsible to put
> access credentials into its SYS$ANNOUNCE allowing ANYBODY access to DCL and
> other utilities that can affect systems on the internet.  A reasonable way
> to allow access would be to have a guest account (restricted/captive) that
> can be used to create other login accounts.  Validate such accounts with a
> valid email address and other schemes that will insure that whomever is on
> this system can be vetted in some fashion.
>
> THANK YOU!

I'm curious about what kind of intrusions we're talking about, and over
which network.

In general, I want to keep HECnet more open than what you are suggesting
above, but this also requires that people act responsibly. If there is
abuse, I'd like to know.