[HECnet] Thrashing about...

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Tue Jul 17 21:42:34 PDT 2018

> On Jul 17, 2018, at 7:54 AM, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 12:24 AM, Zane Healy <healyzh at avanthar.com <mailto:healyzh at avanthar.com>> wrote:
>
> Does anyone happen to know if the sourcecode for AlgolW exists?
> I have at home ​Wirth's original version from Stanford which was written in PL/360 that ran on TSS/360 and the like, (send me email off line if you are interested) although I suspect you can find is also with a little poking on archive.org <http://archive.org/>.    The Case-Western version for the PDP-10 (which I think may have been incomplete) I don't know. I never saw it, nor what it was written in; although I have seen various references to it on different PDP-10 web pages.  Google around, you might find it.  I'd be interested in knowing what the Case folks wrote it in.  PL/360 was pretty arcane and definitely IBM 360 specific, so the authors would have had to done a lot of work to move to the 10 besides just a new backend.
>
> A nice commentary about Algol-W can be found at:  http://web.archive.org/web/20160914215433/http://everything2.com/title/Algol%2520W <http://web.archive.org/web/20160914215433/http://everything2.com/title/Algol%20W> although that document does not mention TSS/360 which is where I ran it years ago.
>
> FWIW: There is an algolwtoc that exists which I also have.  I played with a little a few years ago.  I was trying to decide for myself which was a better first/teaching language, Algol-W or Pascal​  (there is a case to made for both).    The author of the document I mentioned suggests that Algol-W is better because it was simpler and had far fewer 'idiosyncrasies.’

Thanks for that everything2 link.

Eventually I might get Hercules back up and running.  I’ve no real experience with IBM mainframes though.  My background was Harris and Honeywell, before moving to UNIX and eventually DEC.  The PDP-10 version, which is what I’m looking for is apparently implemented in something called META2.

ftp://ftp.avanthar.com/pub/pdp10/algol/algolw.txt <ftp://ftp.avanthar.com/pub/pdp10/algol/algolw.txt>

Here is the writeup on some of the background of AlgolW on the PDP-10.

http://www.avanthar.com/healyzh/decemulation/algol-w_story.html <http://www.avanthar.com/healyzh/decemulation/algol-w_story.html>

Zane