[HECnet] HECnet GRE Tunnels...

Tim Sneddon tim at sneddon.id.au
Thu Nov 15 06:19:59 PST 2018

Hi,

I have just finished doing a bit of network cleanup on my ASA and 1841 and
noticed that a number of the HECnet GRE tunnels seems to be down or
possibly misconfigured.

I know that my IP address changed a while back as part of the transition to
Australia's National Broadband Network (NBN) and my router can now be found
at 110.141.227.104. I am pretty sure that Brian sent out an update, but I'm
not sure how well it was applied.

Since changing IP addresses I've only been able to establish a tunnel
with 50.131.218.138 (area 42).  However, when I attempt to ping the other
end I am unable to reach 42.1023.

After looking at my firewall logs I noticed that someone at 81.135.164.245
was attempting to establish a GRE tunnel.  After looking at the existing
configuration I noticed that it was a similar address to what had been last
configured for area 22.  I made the change and now I can establish a link
to area 22 and I can successfully ping 22.1023.

However, that is were it ends.  I have tunnels configured for area 59, 23,
61, 9 and 52, but I have no connection to the other end.  Worse, I have no
connection to the HECnet as a larger entity.

Is anyone else other than myself and Mark Darvill still using the tunnels?
If there is a lack of interest in the maintenance, I would be happy to take
it over and start running the bridge here too.

Thoughts?  Anybody... :-)

Regards, Tim.