[HECnet] Thursby TSSnet (was: Re: Sunlink DNA)

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Mon Sep 24 17:39:03 PDT 2018

> On Sep 24, 2018, at 4:56 PM, Jeffrey H. Johnson <jhj at trnsz.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 19, 2018, at 3:09 PM, Jeffrey H. Johnson <jhj at trnsz.com> wrote:
>>
>> Update with some good news.
>>
>> I've been in touch with a chain of people at TSS, who have been quite responsive and very helpful, and have now finally reached the management level, who said they will try to respond back, hopefully before next week.
>>
>> [snip]
>
> Another update:
>
> Not so good news.  I received a response from TSS, who advised that they were willing to help but "were not able to find a backup of the source code" for the TSSnet product, so they are not able to release it.
>
> I reached out to Oracle, and they never responded to my inquiries regarding SunLink/DNA - unsurprisingly.
>
> Perhaps Tim Sneddon might be willing to try contacting the people he previously reached out to at Ki Research again.

It would be interesting to see if anyone can at least find binaries for the TSS DECnet product, if TSS would be willing to make a hobbyist license available, it would be cool to play with.  From a practical standpoint, it has no commercial value at this point, since it’s pre-MacOSX.

Oddly enough, I want to say that I bought a license for DAVE from them, for the purpose of accessing a Samba Share on VMS.  At least that’s the only reason I can think of, at this point, why I’d have purchased a copy. :-)

Zane