[HECnet] KLH10 noob questions

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Mar 10 08:29:47 PDT 2019

Supratim,

On 2019-03-10 16:23, Supratim Sanyal wrote:
> On 3/10/19 10:40 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>> As far as I am aware, it was never supported to have more than one
>> NIA-20 on a KL10.
>>
>> Also, since I think that TOPS-20 is endnode only, I suspect it would
>> be of limited use, had it even been supported.
>> (Yes, you could have had a second interface for just fallback, in case
>> the first one broke, but it was rare that you would have two separate
>> ethernets in the first place, so then it would only be if the NIA-20
>> itself broke, but then you'd probably want to power down the machine
>> anyhow.)
>
> Very likely true. The original KL10 doc clearly says only one NIC is
> supported. I just try my best to keep my DECnet and IP subnets isolated
> if I can; two NICs help.

Well, I guess with a PDP-10, that is out of the question.

>> I know of KLH10s, but I don't know if any have a guest account.
>> Although, I'm not sure what you think you would see from inside TOPS-20.
>
> Never seen or logged into a TOP-20 system ... as you say below, curious
> about what it looks like. Anyway, have a Panda release up now, working
> through tips for the basics.

Hum... The Panda release would be MRCs stuff. Wasn't that for the KS?
Maybe I'm misremembering. MRC did play with KLH10 as well, I seem to
remember.

As far as basics of TOPS-20 goes... Wow. That could be a big subject.
Make sure you have an account with the WHEEL bit set. Then enable the
privileged commands (it was either ENABLE or ^E ENABLE). After that, you
could go into OPR to start fooling around with operator stuff.
 From OPR, you can then get into NCP for DECnet stuff, for example.

   Johnny