[HECnet] Multinet alternatives ...

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 12:04:24 PST 2020

You're quite right, Tops-20 directory creation /is/ a pain in the neck
to the modern user.

However, a Tops-20 directory is a _very_ different beast than what you
would see in other operating systems.  It was a different time with
different costs.  Under DOS, Unix (all flavors), OS/2, Windows and IBM
z/OS (nee MVS) a directory is simply a place to put files.  So you say
make me a directory and /poof/, you're a directory.

Under Tops-20, directories have far richer semantics.  First of all,
they are the store of record for login credentials, which is quite
different from all the above and Tops-10, as well.  If you create a
directory--/anywhere/--and it is not FILES-ONLY and it has a password,
then you have just created a user. Furthermore connecting to a directory
is in no way like doing a CD.  Once you are connected, you have the same
rights as the owner and can use these rights to access files in other
directories that the owner has rights to.  Group management is superior
to Unix in that a directory can both be in multiple groups and provide
multiple groups.  It allows for far greater granularity.  Disk usage is
carefully kept track of.  However, management of all of it requires
special administrative capabilities to be given.

All of this was necessary in the days of machines have 10's of thousands
of users with strapped storage; I believe the default at Columbia for
undergraduates was 100 pages (about 350 KB) permanent storage and 1,000
working.  You've got to do things like that when all you can squeeze
into the machine room is a couple of gigabytes worth of disk drives.
The careful group management was necessary to keep the more inquisitive
students from interfering with others' activities.  We needed special
programs to manage all the accounts, the groups and the storage.  Most
sites had home grown software like this and Columbia's was pretty nifty.

The only thing lacking was the ability for a user to create their own
sub-directory.  I began looking at this by sketching out an IPCF% based
client server paradigm.  The user would run a client to create the
directory and then the server would do all the automatic nice things.
It grew to be quite complex as it had to go recursive to grab storage
from superior directories' allocation and then it would have had to
interface into the group management system to request groups for the
user to access the subdirectories.  I gave up when the line was
cancelled and we went to Sun SPARC.

Non-DEC versions of Tops-20 (such as Stanford and PANDA) implement
something called super-domestic structures where the user can always
access their subdirectories.  A limited version of relative directory
naming (viz, ./., ../) was implemented, also.  Columbia's group
management software was intelligent and flexible enough that we never
needed to use the super-domestic code.

Structure (and tape) mounts are also a very different thing, but that's
another story.

Maybe I'll look at it again after I finish my DAP changes and the new
FTP server.