[HECnet] MACRO-11 cross assembler for VMS

Robert Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Fri Mar 6 17:12:42 PST 2020

>Didn't early Vaxen (11/780) also execute PDP-11 code?

  Yes, you are correct that the hardware could do it but to actually run
PDP-11 programs you needed a layered software product for VMS called the
RSXAME ("Application Migration Executive").  The AME came with MACRO11, task
builder, and a bunch of other stuff.

  I don't have it, though, and I haven't seen a copy since the early 1980s.
I'm not even sure it would work on a MicroVAX, either.  Only the VAX-7xx
models and (I think) the 8600 actually had compatibility mode; it got
dropped from the architecture pretty fast after that.  I seem to remember
that DEC added a software emulation feature for later VAXes that didn't have
compatibility mode, but I don't remember the details.

  In any case I don't really need all that - I just want to assemble some
stand alone PDP-11 programs that I can then download to a real -11.

Bob