[HECnet] Bringing up a MicroVAX 3100-80

Supratim Sanyal supratim at riseup.net
Mon Mar 30 22:00:08 PDT 2020

On 3/31/20 12:25 AM, John H. Reinhardt wrote:
> On 3/30/2020 10:59 PM, Ray Jewhurst wrote:
>> I haven't tried burning but I used p7z through File Roller on a Linux
>> Mint system. I have only used it as an image on Simh. I am not at my
>> computer tonight but if you need it tomorrow I can get you a checksum
>> on the unzipped image.
>>
>> Ray
>

> Okay. Maybe it's a difference between Linux and macOOS.  I downloaded
> the file from WInWorldPC.  The actual file came from someone named
> "Ricky" in Germany.  The file downloaded was "DEC VMS 5.5-2H4 (Jul
> 1993) [VAX] (ISO).7z"  I ran it through "TheUnarchiver" and it
> produced a folder with two files.  A txt file and "VMS 552h4 VAX.iso".
> I tried burning that ISO file but then I get the disk image is invalid
> error.
>
> I'll have to get a copy of SimH running on my Mac and see it it can
> read the ISO.

Vaxhaven's AG-PXL1A-RE.iso is 236013792 bytes, Winworld's "VMS 552h4
VAX.iso" is 205508764. Neither can be burnt by MacOS directly from the
GUI. The following command line results in a "raw" burn (remove the
-testburn switch to enable the laser).

$ hdiutil burn -testburn -imagekey diskimage-class=CRawDiskImage -speed
2 Downloads/DEC\ VMS\ 5.5-2H4\ \(Jul\ 1993\)\ \[VAX\]\ \(ISO\)/VMS\
552h4\ VAX.iso

The Vaxhaven raw burn does not boot. I will try the Winworld version
next. BUT, just to make sure the RRD42 is not the problem, here's a
couple of questions about it:

1) I have connected the SCSI cable at the bottom and a terminator at the
top. Is this okay?

2) When I insert the caddie in (with the CD in the caddy), the green
light turns on for a few seconds and then turns off. Nothing else
happens. MicroVAX comes back to ">>>" prompt after a few minutes, no
other messages. Should I expect to hear some noises of the plate at the
bottom of the caddie moving sideways to expose the CD to the laser, etc?

Also, even if I get to a point where I boot into standalone backup, how
am I to fix the problem with DKA100's contiguity issue?

The previous owner said he had actual PAKs that he could not find, but
are loaded in the LMF databse. I would very much like to at least be
able to copy the LMF and am averse to reinstalling a fresh copy of VMS
on DKA100 (everyobdy here will understand exactly why this is
super-important now).

--
Supratim Sanyal, W1XMT
39.19151 N, 77.23432 W