[HECnet] Disallow login on DZ line in VMS

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Dec 20 16:42:07 PST 2021

That /NOTYPE_AHEAD would disable logins in VMS is a bit surprising.
In my eyes, that's very unintuitive. /NOINTERACTIVE seems much more
sensible (yay for RSTS/E).

Sounds like VMS also have /NOINTERACTIVE...?

In RSX, /NOTYPE_AHEAD just means you don't have any typeahead. If you
try typing something when nothing is reading, the characters are just
thrown away. But if a read is in progress, things works just as normal.

But since RSX is a bit weird compared to most other OSes, in order to
not be able to log in, you put the terminal line to slave mode. But
you're not getting a login prompt anyway, unless you ask for it. You
just get a CLI prompt when logged out, and can give any command you
want. LOGIN is just one of them. (Most others are usually not allowed
when logged out, but that's another story.)

Didn't RSTS/E also use to be able to give commands when logged out, and
not just be thrown the login prompt? When did that disappear, and why?

   Johnny