[HECnet] Disallow login on DZ line in VMS

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Mon Dec 20 18:00:25 PST 2021

Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> writes:

>That /NOTYPE_AHEAD would disable logins in VMS is a bit surprising.
>In my eyes, that's very unintuitive. /NOINTERACTIVE seems much more
>sensible (yay for RSTS/E).

When a terminal has no associated process and it receives unsolicited
input, it forks into routine UNSOL in module TTYSUB.  UNSOL notifies
the job controller of the occurrance by sending a message to the job
cntroller's permanet mailbox.  This message contains the device name
and precipitates the creation of a login process.  There are various
other actions based upon the type of terminal and other attributes of
the device that may occur prior to the actions of the job controller
but without TYPE_AHEAD, none of this occurs.

>Sounds like VMS also have /NOINTERACTIVE...?

VMS has no /NOINTERACTIVE.  Interactive is a process right assigned
to a process that is instantiated via an unsolicited interrupt on a
terminal device.

>In RSX, /NOTYPE_AHEAD just means you don't have any typeahead. If you
>try typing something when nothing is reading, the characters are just
>thrown away. But if a read is in progress, things works just as normal.

I thought this was a question concerning VMS.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker    VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG