[HECnet] Another TOPS-10 DECnet problem

Robert Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Wed Nov 10 13:22:18 PST 2021

>It is certainly true that NML might be choking on legitimately bogus monitor data.

  Actually, we’re talking about the other way around – the monitor is choking on, maybe legitimate maybe bogus (nobody knows at this point), data from NML.

>    However, one hesitates to observe that signaling incorrect input by crashing is a misfeature...

  No, one doesn’t hesitate in my universe…  Especially when we’re talking about crashing a timesharing operating system with maybe 100 users logged in, most of whom are students frantically trying to get their homework finished before class starts in ten minutes :)

Bob