[HECnet] A2RTR downtime

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 15:29:32 PDT 2021

By "Windows Server", do you mean Windows Server Edition or some version
of Windows set up to have a server role?  In particular, I have a
Windows 7 Enterprise machine that I have in mind for this.

Production life means a lot; I didn't mess around when I did that.  The
server was Window 2000 Server running Backup Exec that had ECC memory,
triple redundant power supplies, multi-UPS, four disk RAID 5 plus two
hot spares along and a tape loader library.  It also had attached
terabyte USB storage if the auto-loader when down.  I absolutely was not
interested in failures.

I ultimately didn't particularly care for Backup Exec, but it was what I
had to use.