[Pollinator] Kids Play Pollinator

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Wed Oct 27 19:30:21 PDT 2010

_Homepage_ (http://www.hmbreview.com/)  » _News_
(http://www.hmbreview.com/articles/2010/10/27/news/)
HEAL grows back after funding famine
By Mark Noack [ _mark at hmbreview.com_ (mailto:mark at hmbreview.com)   ]

Published/Last Modified on Wednesday, Oct 27, 2010 -  12:17:15 pm PDT
_Print this story_
(http://hmbreview.com/articles/2010/10/27/news/doc4cc86b2c3bf49566285837.prt)  _Post  A Comment_
(http://www.hmbreview.com/articles/2010/10/27/news/doc4cc86b2c3bf49566285837.txt#comment)  _ShareThis_
(javascript:void(0))
With mud-caked boots and a sunbaked face, farm instructor Chris
Beetley-Hagler cupped his hands to his face and sounded off his self-devised owl
call: “Oooooty-Oop!”

Two dozen replies hooted back:  “Oooooty-Oop!”

Of course, no owls were around on a sunny Wednesday  morning. Instead, it
was an entire class of Hatch Elementary fourth-graders, out  to visit
Cabrillo Farms for the day.

Hatch Elementary School students from Melinda Nokes'  fourth grade class
visit the Heal / County Farm in El Granada for an  all-day Outside Science Lab
learning about pumpkin pollination with  instructor Chris Beetley-Hagler.

Habitually kicking at weeds with his  boot as he talked, Beetley-Hagler
taught the students an exercise about the  birds and the bees, choosing a few
student volunteers to play the role of  pollinators. Getting their
instructions, the pollinator-students raced across  the dirt field to grab two
classmates (representing the male and female pollen).  The teams of students were
working together to hoist pumpkins, trying to be the  first to carry it
across the farm field.

“Come on you guys, we’ve got to  create this pumpkin!” he cheered. “We’ve
got to save Halloween!”

It was a  lesson for both the students and the farm instructor, who was
testing out  material for the first time with a full group of visitors.

Out on a field  trip, the students were the first crop of young visitors at
the donated Moss  Beach farmland, now being run by the Coastside HEAL
project. HEAL, an acronym  for health, environment, agriculture and learning, is
running a hands-on  laboratory on the donated farmland to teach students
about sustainable and  healthy practices.

The HEAL program has been available to the Coastside  schools for years,
but the program is rapidly expanding this year with more  funding, new staff
and promises of more cropland from local farmers. Today the  program is
poised to invite schools across San Mateo County for Coastside field  trips,
thanks to a $75,000 grant from the county health system.

That’s  good news for HEAL organizers, especially because at this time last
year the  local program faced major budget reductions and had to pull back
its operations  at Coastside schools. After that low point, the agriculture
nonprofit has  bounced back and reports newfound success in winning
competitive grants and  local contributions.

“I don’t want to give the impression we’re flush  with cash … but the
idea of what we’re doing seems to be lifting off,” said Kim  Borick, HEAL
executive director. “So many people now support our idea at  HEAL.”

Late last year, the nonprofit won a $25,000 grant from the David  & Lucille
Packard Foundation. This year, Moss Beach farmer David Lea donated  two
acres of farmland for the program, and more farmers along the South Coast  are
reportedly offering land for HEAL for similar education  projects.

Wearing an “I ♥ the Farm” cap, Hatch teacher Melinda Nokes said  the
program tied in perfectly with her class studies in life  science.

“This is absolutely connected to our curriculum, and it gives  the kids a
chance to appreciate where they live,” Nokes said, as she chomped on  an
apple. “It makes their education experiential.”

The HEAL project  originally started at Hatch in 2005 and later expanded to
Farallone View and El  Granada elementary schools. Over those years,
successive classes of students  have learned the basics of agriculture by taking
classes with HEAL instructors  and caring for crops planted in sections of
the schoolyard.

A parent on  the field trip, Cindy Chong, recalled that her daughter was
inspired to plant  pumpkins, herbs and other plants after learning the
know-how at  Hatch.

Those programs in place at local schools remain on shaky funding,  said
Borick.

HEAL has received new funding this year, but most of that  money can only
go toward the new farm projects open to the entire county, not  individual
schools. Now operating on a budget of about $250,000, HEAL can use  less than
half that amount for local school programs. For local school projects,  HEAL
remains reliant on donations from PTOs, parents or other community members.